1. We have a legal responsibility to promote high standards of educational achievement.
2. As a Church of England Academy, our SIAMS (Statutory Inspection of Anglican & Methodist Schools) Monitoring Governors also have a duty to preserve and develop the college religious character in accordance with the principles of the Church of England and in partnership with the Church at parish and diocesan level.
These two responsibilities are expressed in three core strategic functions:
1. Ensuring clarity of vision, Christian ethos and strategic direction for Immanuel College;
2. Holding our headteacher to account for the educational performance and well-being of the college;
3. Overseeing the financial performance of the college and making sure its assets are well used and its money is well spent.
We fulfil these three core strategic functions by holding meetings, setting aims and objectives, asking questions, setting targets, studying objective data, asking more questions, adopting and reviewing policies, setting and monitoring more targets, visiting the college, asking even more questions….. Do you get the idea?
We work in partnership with the senior leadership team, who are delegated to manage the college on a day-to-day basis.
See How Do We Work? For an explanation of how we have structured the Governing Body so that we can best do all the above.