Teams for external users.
If you are an external user and have been invited to join a Teams meeting, you will need to create yourself a free Teams account, unless you already have one.
Before you get started, it’s important that you make sure you’re logged out of any Microsoft accounts.
An even better way is to use an Incognito browser window (or possibly Private or inPrivate, depending on your browser). That will make sure you aren’t logged in to any accounts when you start this process.
Get a free Teams account.
- Go to Get Teams for free and choose ‘Sign up for free‘.
- Enter the ’email address’ your invitation was sent to.
- On the next screen, select ‘for work and organisations’.
- Choose Create account.
- Setup your password.
- Enter your date of birth.
- Verify your account.
Option 1, join via the Web. (no installation required).
- Open the original Teams invite email and copy the invitation link. (right click the link ‘Click here to join the meeting‘, and select copy).
- Login to your free Teams account https://teams.microsoft.com
- Paste the invitation link into a new tab, and select the option to join in your web browser.
Option 2, join via Teams App.
- Download and install the Teams app.
- Login to the Teams app with the account you created.
- Open the original Teams invite email and click on ‘Click here to join the meeting‘.
- Select the option to open in the Teams App.